Installation

Consequences of not using default ports

jamie1
Communicator

Hi There,

I am currently trying to set up a universal forwarder on a CentOS 7 server. I have extracted the package and am attempting to start the service but receive the following: 

ERROR: mgmt port [8089] - port is already bound. Splunk needs to use this port.

The port is in fact in use and thus the only solution seems to be using a non-default port.

Will this cause any issues in the long run or is running Splunk on different ports completely supported? As I have only ever used the default ports for previous installations.

Any help/info would be appreciated,

Jamie

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

tej57
Communicator

Hey @jamie1,

It is completely okay to have Splunk services running on different ports other than the default ones. You just need to make sure that the appropriate configuration files are updated with the port that you change.

For eg: Default ingestion port is 9997. However, if you wish to change it to let's say 3434, then you need to make sure to update the inputs.conf and outputs.conf with the same value for the appropriate stanza.

Thanks,
Tejas.

----

If the above solution is helpful, an upvote is appreciated. 

View solution in original post

tej57
Communicator

Hey @jamie1,

It is completely okay to have Splunk services running on different ports other than the default ones. You just need to make sure that the appropriate configuration files are updated with the port that you change.

For eg: Default ingestion port is 9997. However, if you wish to change it to let's say 3434, then you need to make sure to update the inputs.conf and outputs.conf with the same value for the appropriate stanza.

Thanks,
Tejas.

----

If the above solution is helpful, an upvote is appreciated. 

jamie1
Communicator

Hey,

Thanks for the info, it was just the management port that needed changing, I picked a different port, finished the installation and everything seems to be working as expected.

Thanks again for the information 🙂

Jamie

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...