Installation

App or add-on Compatibility with Splunk 8.x while upgrading from Splunk 7.x

samcyber20
Explorer

Splunk recommends that before you upgrade a distributed environment, confirm that Splunk apps work on the version of Splunk Enterprise that you want to upgrade to.

But my query is what could go wrong if some Apps are missed and upgradation happened and that App are not compatible with 8.X. 

Is there any chance that we can upgrade apps or add-on after upgraded to desired version or what are the options after upgrade. 

Any one faced any similar situation like this?

Thank you in advance

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you can upgrade apps after upgrading Splunk.  Apps that do not use Python should be safe to run.

OTOH, I've seen Splunk 8 fail to start because an app was not upgraded to an 8-compatible version, so I strongly encourage you to upgrade all apps before upgrading Splunk.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

samcyber20
Explorer

Hi @richgalloway ,

Thank you so much for response really helpful for me.

One more help needed could you please elaborate below point no.3 which I found from How to upgrade a distributed Splunk Enterprise environment - Splunk Documentation in Upgrade the search heads section

samcyber20_0-1614819767854.png

Thanks

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What is it you need elaborated?  If you tested the app on a sandbox instance of Splunk (as per the doc) then this instruction is saying to copy the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/foo directory from the test instance to the SH.

---
0 Karma

samcyber20
Explorer

I think I will test upgrade first on standalone instance and I will get my answers.

Thanks 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you can upgrade apps after upgrading Splunk.  Apps that do not use Python should be safe to run.

OTOH, I've seen Splunk 8 fail to start because an app was not upgraded to an 8-compatible version, so I strongly encourage you to upgrade all apps before upgrading Splunk.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...