Getting Data In

Why does Splunk Universal Forwarders app disappears?

maurobissante
Explorer

Hi,

we have several Universal Forwarders managed by a Deployment Server that occasionally "lose" applications and stop sending logs to Indexers and are no longer connected to the Deployment Server.
The only way to reconnect these UFs is to reinstall the connection apps to the DS manually by logging into the host, and then manage it again from the DS.
How does this happen? Is there any other way to reconnect these UFs to the DS without necessarily logging in?

Thanks,

Mauro

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

If I understood this right "lose" means that those apps are removed from UF?

If so you must find there reason for that removing from your UF's log files. Then you can see how to fix it. If those logs are not tampered you can check those after you have reinstalled DS connection to those nodes.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

maurobissante
Explorer

Hi,

yes, it seems that these applications that we use to connect the UF to the Deployment Server and to send the logs get deleted by something (Splunk itself?) and the UF, of course, stops sending data and I can't reinstall them because the UF are no longer reachable from the DS.

This is the last log that Splunk received from this host:

08-01-2023 12:55:35.821 +0200 ERROR ExecProcessor [6648 ExecProcessor] - message from ""C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\bin\splunk-MonitorNoHandle.exe"" splunk-monitornohandle - configure: no drive specifier found: '$windir\system32\dns\dns.log'

Any idea?

Thanks,

Mauro

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @maurobissante ,

check the server classes to identify if this client is in more than one serverclass, instead on one.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

maurobissante
Explorer

Hi @gcusello,

the host is in only one ServerClass with all the needed apps.

Thanks,

Mauro

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...