Getting Data In

Why are there duplicate MV fields with JSON data?

pcontreras
Explorer

Hello there!

I'm trying to ingest JSON data via the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services app.  I created a sourcetype with INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=json and left all other settings to their default values.  The data got ingested, however, when I table my events I start seeing mv fields with duplicate data.  I'm even seeing the "Interesting Fields" section add up to 200% (instead of the expected 100%).

Sourcetype settingsSourcetype settings

Interesting FieldsInteresting Fields

MV Fields with duplicate dataMV Fields with duplicate data

https://community.splunk.com/t5/All-Apps-and-Add-ons/JSON-format-Duplicate-value-in-field/m-p/306811

I then followed the advice given in this post ^^^ (i.e., setting KV_MODE=none, AUTO_KV_JSON=false, etc.) but the issue persists.

I have attached screenshots to this post to better understand my situation.  I'm currently on Splunk Cloud.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated

Labels (2)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One common mistake is described in Structured Data Header Extraction and configuration.

* When 'INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = JSON' for a particular source type, do not also 
  set 'KV_MODE = json' for that source type. This causes the Splunk software to 
  extract the JSON fields twice: once at index time, and again at search time.
* Default: not set
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...