Getting Data In

Why am I getting warning "deployment client explicitly disabled through config"?

agoebel
Path Finder

I have tried restarting everything (forwarder, deploy settings, deployment server) to no avail. I have tested that the machine in question (windows box) can connect to the the deployment port with ncat. I have enabled it through the configuration files and the command line to no avail.

I am horribly confused and at a loss on how to troubleshoot this.


deploymentclient.conf

 [deployment-client]
 disabled = false
 clientName = my--custom--name

 [target-broker:deploymentServer]
 targeturi = myserver.com:8089

splunkd.log

08-28-2014 18:59:20.086 -0400 INFO  LMTracker - Setting feature=DeployClient state=ENABLED (featureStatus=1)
...
08-28-2014 18:59:24.095 -0400 INFO  DS_DC_Common - Initializing the PubSub system.
08-28-2014 18:59:24.095 -0400 INFO  DS_DC_Common - Initializing core facilities of PubSub system.
08-28-2014 18:59:29.929 -0400 WARN  DC:DeploymentClient - DeploymentClient explicitly disabled through config.
08-28-2014 18:59:29.929 -0400 INFO  DS_DC_Common - Deployment Client not initialized.

Edit

There is no license attached to these forwarders if that matters

1 Solution

agoebel
Path Finder

Reinstalling seems to have solved the immediate issue.

Update

targetUri needs a capital U

View solution in original post

markakirkland
Path Finder

Some may come across this problem, if the .conf file is not in the expected location.

For example, I created an app, that I checked in triplicate... only to figure out that, I was putting the .conf in the wrong location... so, Splunk couldn't pick it up. I received the same message as above.

To test connectivity, I also reinstalled the UF and used the GUI to see if it would, "pop," in the deployment server... SUCCESS!?!?

So, I later realized that Splunk couldn't see the file because I didn't put the .conf file in the local folder inside of the app name folder.

The file belongs here on the UF:
%SplunkHome%/etc/apps//local/<.conf file>

Not:
%SplunkHome%/etc/apps//<.conf file>

As mentioned above, I have seen varying results from different syntax. My observation is that spaces sometimes matter after the equals sign. Going directly from docs.splunk.com, it seems that there are very subtle inconsistencies in syntax. Spacing the argument from the variable seems to work most consistently for me.

Best Wishes.

0 Karma

agoebel
Path Finder

Reinstalling seems to have solved the immediate issue.

Update

targetUri needs a capital U

mbrownoutside
Path Finder

Has to way back to 6.x for some legacy systems and can confirm... no clear support for targetUrl (so no https or http).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Observability Highlights | January 2023 Newsletter

 January 2023New Product Releases Splunk Network Explorer for Infrastructure MonitoringSplunk unveils Network ...

Security Highlights | January 2023 Newsletter

January 2023 Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) 3.7.0 ReleaseThe free Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) 3.7.0 app ...

Platform Highlights | January 2023 Newsletter

 January 2023Peace on Earth and Peace of Mind With Business ResilienceAll organizations can start the new year ...