Getting Data In

Why am I getting "Splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely..." trying to upgrade to Splunk 6.2 on Windows 7 64 bit?

Afef
Communicator

I'm trying to upgrade splunk to the version 6.2 on windows 7 64 bits, it performed a "rollback action" during which I got the message : " splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified... "
when i write splunk status on CLI i got the message : "splunkd : unable to obtain status".
Any help please ?? Thanks

1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

nekb1958
Path Finder

yes, now it works for my german installation - after some trouble with my Anaconda3 installation (PYTHONHOME was set to anaconda instead of splunk) - also.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Same issue for me 😞

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@SloshBurch is 6.2.1 still failing to install on a non-English Windows for you?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

English. I have a case open from earlier and I've posted the same information there.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see. This question and the associated fix are related to install issues on non-English Windows environments.

0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

Just tested the new version and now it installs without issues

0 Karma

Afef
Communicator

I tried installing splunk 6.2 on an english windows 7 machine, and it works. So i think there is a problem with OS language !

0 Karma

arkadyz1
Builder

English (US), Windows 7 32-bit machine here, same problem - "ended prematurely".

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your Windows is English then you don't have the same problem. Install with verbose logging and open a new question for your problem:

msiexec /I splunkfile /l*v logfile
0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi, Same here with French Windows 2012 R2 edition, 6.2 install/upgrade is broken. (not the stopping service issue)

A maintenance release seems quickly required for foreign people running Spunk in Windows

lauMarot
Path Finder

strongly agree 🙂

0 Karma

FRoth
Contributor

Still waiting for a solution. (German version here)

gfuente
Motivator

Any update on this issue? Still no workaround to install in a non English OS?

Thanks

0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

I'm not sure about that. My install was on the English version of Windows Server 2008 R2 and it had the same issue.

0 Karma

wcolgate_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are two issue mixed in this single splunkAnswer. One is an issue with non-english language base OS, and the other is with stopping splunk services before upgrade.

0 Karma

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is a known issue mentioned here and the work around is to stop splunkd service and splunkweb service manually before upgrade. http://answers.splunk.com/answers/176994/upgrade-to-62-fails-on-windows-7-with-error-while.html

Note that the short cut after upgrade may not work , and you may need to directly use your browser for connecting to splunk UI.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jdastmalchi_splunk: I went through the motions with @wcolgate_splunk yesterday and we did find the root cause.

0 Karma

las
Contributor

@martin_mueller: Could you elaborate a little over the root cause.
I seem to get something about a trust relationship being broken between the primary domain and the trust domain. My translation might not be right, as this log is written in danish.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See my comment from five days ago on the question itself - localized Administrators group names flummox the installer.

Feel free to post Danish logs, reading that is fine for me - less than 100km to the border 🙂

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...