Getting Data In

Why am I getting "Splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely..." trying to upgrade to Splunk 6.2 on Windows 7 64 bit?

Afef
Communicator

I'm trying to upgrade splunk to the version 6.2 on windows 7 64 bits, it performed a "rollback action" during which I got the message : " splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified... "
when i write splunk status on CLI i got the message : "splunkd : unable to obtain status".
Any help please ?? Thanks

1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

nekb1958
Path Finder

yes, now it works for my german installation - after some trouble with my Anaconda3 installation (PYTHONHOME was set to anaconda instead of splunk) - also.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Same issue for me 😞

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@SloshBurch is 6.2.1 still failing to install on a non-English Windows for you?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

English. I have a case open from earlier and I've posted the same information there.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see. This question and the associated fix are related to install issues on non-English Windows environments.

0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

Just tested the new version and now it installs without issues

0 Karma

Afef
Communicator

I tried installing splunk 6.2 on an english windows 7 machine, and it works. So i think there is a problem with OS language !

0 Karma

arkadyz1
Builder

English (US), Windows 7 32-bit machine here, same problem - "ended prematurely".

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your Windows is English then you don't have the same problem. Install with verbose logging and open a new question for your problem:

msiexec /I splunkfile /l*v logfile
0 Karma

guilmxm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi, Same here with French Windows 2012 R2 edition, 6.2 install/upgrade is broken. (not the stopping service issue)

A maintenance release seems quickly required for foreign people running Spunk in Windows

lauMarot
Path Finder

strongly agree 🙂

0 Karma

FRoth
Contributor

Still waiting for a solution. (German version here)

gfuente
Motivator

Any update on this issue? Still no workaround to install in a non English OS?

Thanks

0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

I'm not sure about that. My install was on the English version of Windows Server 2008 R2 and it had the same issue.

0 Karma

wcolgate_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are two issue mixed in this single splunkAnswer. One is an issue with non-english language base OS, and the other is with stopping splunk services before upgrade.

0 Karma

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is a known issue mentioned here and the work around is to stop splunkd service and splunkweb service manually before upgrade. http://answers.splunk.com/answers/176994/upgrade-to-62-fails-on-windows-7-with-error-while.html

Note that the short cut after upgrade may not work , and you may need to directly use your browser for connecting to splunk UI.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jdastmalchi_splunk: I went through the motions with @wcolgate_splunk yesterday and we did find the root cause.

0 Karma

las
Contributor

@martin_mueller: Could you elaborate a little over the root cause.
I seem to get something about a trust relationship being broken between the primary domain and the trust domain. My translation might not be right, as this log is written in danish.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See my comment from five days ago on the question itself - localized Administrators group names flummox the installer.

Feel free to post Danish logs, reading that is fine for me - less than 100km to the border 🙂

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...