Getting Data In

Why am I getting duplicate saved search results after copying an app?

wyfwa4
Communicator

I have two apps which have the same saved searches defined in their own savedsearches.conf files, however, rather than one overriding the other based on standard conf file precedence, I see both versions listed in the web site and also have duplicate reports being sent when scheduled. I would assume that only version of each saved search would be active, as they use the same stanza names in the savedsearches.conf files. Is there something that I am missing? Does file precedence not apply to savedsearches.conf.

As background information, I have a main app which is used to contain all my custom configurations, which includes saved searches. These saved searches include scheduled reports, scheduled lookups generations. All of these work as expected. I will call this app "Prod"

On the same Splunk server, I have a copy of "Prod" App and placed in a new app called "UAT". This app was created by taking a copy of the "PROD" app and modifying the app.conf to change the app name and also modified the savedseach.conf file - specifically the request.ui_dispatch_app value to add the new app name. The "UAT" app is then loaded through the GUI using the "Manage Apps" interface. This installation worked successfully and I am able to use this as expected.

So the "Prod" app should have precedence over the "UAT" app. When I run btool for the savedsearch.conf file, I only see one entry which should be the correct result, but both versions of each search are visible, active and manageable through the saved searches web interface. For the saved searches that produce lookup files, both run and update the correct lookup folder under each app.

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's a post on how to limit the scope of .conf stanzas -

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/233632/how-to-limit-the-scope-of-fieldsconf-stanzas-to-on.html

Basically, the UAT version should be in a folder at the app level, where the prod version is global.

Other than that, if you're getting duplicate reports, check to see whether the UAT version is scheduled as well as the PROD version. To find out, you could temporarily kill the UAT's access to the indexes (for example) and see whether you still got dups when the prod one ran.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's a post on how to limit the scope of .conf stanzas -

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/233632/how-to-limit-the-scope-of-fieldsconf-stanzas-to-on.html

Basically, the UAT version should be in a folder at the app level, where the prod version is global.

Other than that, if you're getting duplicate reports, check to see whether the UAT version is scheduled as well as the PROD version. To find out, you could temporarily kill the UAT's access to the indexes (for example) and see whether you still got dups when the prod one ran.

0 Karma

wyfwa4
Communicator

If I understand correctly, then this is not an issue with precedence, but with application scope. As these saved searches are defined only within the app scope (they have not been globally published) - then it would make sense that from each app's perspective, these searches are unique and so each app will run these. Is that correct?

I was approaching this issue more from a perspective that the conf files were all being processed once and that then defines the configuration Splunk uses- similar to the output we get from btool which does not take app/user context into account- but re-reading the documentation, it seems to be more dynamic than that - so depending on the app/user context different settings will "win" and therefore be used and you can have multiple activities running in parallel using different configurations.

What I want to achieve is that I can have the same settings in both and only one will be active. I think this can be achieved by making saved searches from both apps global in scope and therefore only one can be active at any one time. This makes it easier to promote UAT to Prod, as I know the Prod version will then be the active one. And only new searches that I add to UAT will be active.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/91268/creating-saved-searches-and-custom-dashboards-with-unique-n...

Thanks for the information - I will start testing the scope settings.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If they are only to be defined at the app level, then probably both of them should be placed in the app-level folders.

Be extra careful when promoting any tested changes, though. (A word to the wise is sufficient).

Best wishes!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...