Getting Data In

When splunk is ingesting data we get a warning about 10% FS Availability

mark71
Engager

Hi. I am a new splunk user with a question:

When splunk is ingesting data we get a monitoring system warning about 10% FS Availability. Then the FS space returns to a value > 10% availability. Is there a file/location where temporary data is written while ingestion is happening?

Thanks 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

_JP
Contributor

What type of Splunk instance are you getting this notification on - your Indexer, or are you using a single Splunk instance? I'm also assuming this notification is coming from outside of Splunk - like an OS monitor or something like that.

For example, an Indexer is generally going to put lots of stuff into $SPLUNK_HOME/var/lib/splunk because that's where the indexes are stored.  

The first thing I could think of is your indexer drive is almost full, and you index more data causing you to dip below a Splunk-configured max index size.  This causes Splunk to then move/delete old buckets of data because it dipped below the configured threshold.  

Here's docs on this this concept:  Configure maximum index size - Splunk Documentation

Also, these configs would be in one of your indexes.conf files.

0 Karma

mark71
Engager

Hi _JP

Thanks for the response. Yes, the instance is an indexer.  I have read the linked documents and I understand more of the detail about the indexer and how it stores various stages of data. I'll review and in the meantime we will be adding additional FS space.

Thank You

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...