Getting Data In

Use one or two TCP/UDP ports for two different sources of Syslog if I want them in separate sourcetypes

kashyap2702

In my app, I want Syslog from two different sources in two different sourcetypes (since they both are of different types). I have two options for this:
- enable two ports and assign different sourcetypes to both
- collect them on single port and assign different sourcetypes using regex (will require much analysis of logs)

What is the recommended approach ?

Thanks,
Kashyap

0 Karma
1 Solution

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The best practice approach for syslog collection is to send your log data to a syslog server, apply proper policies in syslog server to write to separate files/folder and use a Universal Forwarder on the syslog server to process the log files the splunky way.

Note that if you send syslog to a Splunk listener, you will lose data every time you have to restart Splunk, e.g. to apply configuration changes. Plus, as you are just finding out, you have to have a separate port for each sourcetype, which gets messy quickly.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Always use distinct (in this case 2) ports. Then you can debug problems from the outside using OS tools, too.
If you are stuck using a single port then you should use this project and help contribute to the auto-sourcetypeing RegEx list:
https://github.com/splunk/splunk-connect-for-syslog/wiki

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The best practice approach for syslog collection is to send your log data to a syslog server, apply proper policies in syslog server to write to separate files/folder and use a Universal Forwarder on the syslog server to process the log files the splunky way.

Note that if you send syslog to a Splunk listener, you will lose data every time you have to restart Splunk, e.g. to apply configuration changes. Plus, as you are just finding out, you have to have a separate port for each sourcetype, which gets messy quickly.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi kashyap2702,
if you can I'd prefer the first.
Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...