Getting Data In

Problems Deleting Data in Splunk 6

conner9
Path Finder

Trying to delete data from an index for a specific day, and keep getting an error.

index=os sourcetype=ps provides 600k results for a single day.

index=os sourcetype=ps | delete results in "job terminated unexpectedly" "search terminated because of an error"

Yes the account has the delete functionality.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

conner9
Path Finder

I found my particular problem. Some of the files in my index directory were owned by root, and it was preventing my deletes from taking affect. As soon as I reset ownership to splunk:splunk, it started working again.

View solution in original post

conner9
Path Finder

I found my particular problem. Some of the files in my index directory were owned by root, and it was preventing my deletes from taking affect. As soon as I reset ownership to splunk:splunk, it started working again.

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you tried deleting data for only a couple hours or some other shorter period of time? It is possible you are hitting resource constraints that are messing with the completion of the job.

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic

conner9
Path Finder

I did, and it was still failing.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...