Getting Data In

How to blacklist specific occurrences of a particular eventcode?

jh007

I am attempting to blacklist a series of process creation events (eventcode 4688) because they are noise and will break my index cap. In short, I need to be able to keep 4688 events while filtering out the garbage. Here is what I have so far:

blacklist1 = EventCode="4688" Message="(.*splunk.*|.*WmiP.*|.*SearchFilterHost.*|.*taskhost.*|.*TrustedInstaller.*|.*dllhost.*).*.exe"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi jh007,
you could filter these events on the indexer before indexing:
in props.conf

TRANSFORMS-set-AS=set_AS,set_nullqueue

in transforms.conf

# nullqueue #
[set_nullqueue]
REGEX=EventCode\=4688
DEST_KEY=queue
FORMAT=nullQueue
# AS #
[set_AS]
REGEX=.
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = indexQueue

Beware how it's written EventCode=4688: if there are spaces or brackets modify my regex.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

jh007

Hello Giuseppe,

I think you may of misunderstood what I was asking. I need to keep 4688 events except for the few specific ones I listed in my post. My issue has been figuring out how to make the blacklist acknowledge which components I want it to filter. All my previous attempts to filter specific 4688 events have stopped ALL 4688 events from coming in rather than ones I don't want. In summary, I need to know if there is in fact a way to blacklist what I am trying to do just like Splunk's documentation has suggested.

Thank you
James

0 Karma

jh007

Hello Giuseppe,

So I got the blacklist working for one event through the inputs.conf file. (see below)

blacklist1 = EventCode="4688" Message=".*[\S\s]*Account\sName:\s+[\S+]+[\$]"

Thank you for your help

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi jh007,
if your need is to take all events with 4688 except the ones you listed, you have to modify my transforms.conf (props.conf is the same) as following

# nullqueue #
 [set_nullqueue]
 REGEX=Message\=\"(.*splunk.*|.*WmiP.*|.*SearchFilterHost.*|.*taskhost.*|.*TrustedInstaller.*|.*dllhost.*).*.exe\"
 DEST_KEY=queue
 FORMAT=nullQueue
 # AS #
 [set_AS]
 REGEX=EventCode\=4688
 DEST_KEY = queue
 FORMAT = indexQueue

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...