Getting Data In

How to add / mount a folder?

neilmac64
Path Finder

I am running Splunk in Docker on my local machine. I would like to monitor a directory folder also on my local machine where data will be posted (csv files which I would like to index).

I go to:

• Data Inputs > Files and Directories > Add New
    • File or Directory

If I use Browse, I can't find my directory - assume as it isn't mounted.

If I add the path to the folder, I get an error saying "This path does not exist or is not accessible."

It seems it should be easy to add a folder for monitoring - as yet I can't find a way to do it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance.

NM

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This seems like a Docker problem(?) not a Splunk problem - you need to set up your Docker instance to have access to your local machine file system. Given that the essence of Docker is containment, this sounds like a non-trivial task!

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Other way to go around the problem would be to install UF in the "main" system and forward events read by UF into the dockerized Splunk instance.

0 Karma

neilmac64
Path Finder

How do you do it in a non-docker environment?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That depends on how your non-Docker environment is set up. I use WSL on my PC which automatically mounts the C drive under /mnt and is therefore easy to find.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...