Getting Data In

How do I solve "Listen Claim" issue when getting Event Hub data through Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello!

I am working with version 4.1.3 (latest) of the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services that is installed on Splunk Enterprise 8.0.5.  My objective is to pull data from an Azure Event Hub.  I have configured an Azure App Account as well as an Azure Event Hub input, but when enabled the data does not come through.  Instead I get an unauthorized access error stating that listen claims are required:

2021-05-26 13:40:40,305 level=WARNING pid=15598 tid=Thread-1 logger=uamqp.receiver pos=receiver.py:get_state:270 | LinkDetach("ErrorCodes.UnauthorizedAccess: Unauthorized access. 'Listen' claim(s) are required to perform this operation. Resource: 'sb://<namespace>.servicebus.windows.net/<event_hub_name>/consumergroups/$default/partitions/0'. TrackingId:786bfa2366b4413aa87b20c898f7f316_G38, SystemTracker:gateway5, Timestamp:2021-05-26T13:40:40")

I referred to the troubleshooting section of the manual, but it only says to ensure that all IDs are correct, which I checked and rechecked numerous times.  The correct claims are also configured but I still run into the same issue.  I also found this thread which had the issue, but the resolution does not apply to my case.

How can I get around this issue?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

splunk219783
Path Finder

Hey, I just figured this out and wanted to share.

Assuming you're using an Application Registration, this is what worked for me based on this guide:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/howto-create-service-principal-porta...

Go to the Subscription in Azure > Access Control (IAM) > Add Role Assignment > Assign the "Azure Event Hubs Data Receiver" role to your Application.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

pratik_18
Explorer

can some one help with this issue, I am also facing the same issue while transitioning from the old add-on to new add-on.

0 Karma

splunk219783
Path Finder

Hey, I just figured this out and wanted to share.

Assuming you're using an Application Registration, this is what worked for me based on this guide:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/howto-create-service-principal-porta...

Go to the Subscription in Azure > Access Control (IAM) > Add Role Assignment > Assign the "Azure Event Hubs Data Receiver" role to your Application.

Tags (1)

andrewtrobec
Motivator

@splunk219783 Thanks for contributing!  I found the same solution after checking and rechecking.  I now have another problem, but I'm accepting your answer as it is relevant to the question.

Out of curiosity: did your connector start working once you made the role change?  I am now facing a new error:

EventProcessor instance '<ID>' of eventhub '<eventhub name>' partition '0' consumer group '$Default'. An error occurred while receiving. The exception is KeyError('records').

Did you get something similar?

Thanks!

Andrew

pratik_18
Explorer

can some one help with this issue, I am also facing the same issue while transitioning from the old add-on to new add-on.

0 Karma

akriti
Explorer

Hi @pratik_18 ,

Were you able to find the solution for the KeyError('records') ? I'm also facing the same issue with the Microsoft Cloud Services Addon.

0 Karma

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hey @pratik_18 , if you're facing the same KeyError('records') that I have, there's a new release of the connector that's due by the end of the month.  Should iron out a few bugs...

0 Karma

splunk219783
Path Finder

Hey Andrew, on one of our subscriptions I did receive an error.  It was different than yours though, it seemed to be because I had the old Azure app and new Cloud services app running at the same time.  When I disabled the old input it began working.

It then worked flawlessly for ~4 more event hub inputs.  I'm honestly not sure what your error would mean.

0 Karma

splunk219783
Path Finder

I have the exact same issue after transitioning from the Microsoft Azure Add-on for Splunk to Splunk Add-on for Microsoft Cloud Services.

The settings have changed slightly, but this worked just fine in the old Azure app.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...