Getting Data In

Filter data and Extract field before indexed

gurveer_singh88

To avoid over index usage, I want to filter before it indexed and I also want extract field before indexed as well.
As of now, I am trying to configure extract field, so later based on field values I can filter data.

Following is my configuration, I don't why props.conf and transforms.conf isn't working.

Configuration on Splunk Universal Forward is as follow:

[monitor://C:\myfoler\mylogfile.log]
disabled = false 
index = test_index
sourcetype = Logfile

Splunk Indexer configuration is as follow:

cat $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/props.conf

[source:://C:\\myfoler\\mylogfile.log]
TRANSFORMS-MyLOG = MyLOG

cat $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/transforms.conf

[MyLOG] 
DEST_KEY = _raw 
REGEX = (?<MyType>\w+)\s+\|\s+jvm\s+1\s+\|\s+(?<Date>\d+\/\d+\/\d+)\s+(?<Time>\d+\:\d+\:\d+)\s+\|\s+(?<EventTimeStamp>.*)-\s+(?<Message>.*)
FORMAT = $1 $2 $3 $4 $5

Regex is working perfectly fine when I use this in splunk search.

Please also guide, how I can filter data, for example
if fieldx == Value1 // Index this data
if fieldx == Value2 // Drop this data

Thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Use this instead:

[source:://C:\\myfoler\\mylogfile.log] 
SEDCMD-trim_raw = s%\(\w+\)\s+\|\s+jvm\s+1\s+\|\s+\(\d+\/\d+\/\d+\)\s+\(\d+\:\d+\:\d+\)\s+\|\s+\(.*\)-\s+\(.*\)%\1 \2 \3 \4 \5%
0 Karma

gurveer_singh88

I used following configuration but I was getting error when i restart Splunk Enterprise.

cat etc/system/local/transforms.conf
[MyLOG]
DEST_KEY = _raw
SEDCMD-trim_raw = s%\(\w+\)\s+\|\s+jvm\s+1\s+\|\s+\(\d+\/\d+\/\d+\)\s+\(\d+\:\d+\:\d+\)\s+\|\s+\(.*\)-\s+\(.*\)%\1 \2 \3 \4 \5%
FORMAT = $MyType $Data $Time $EventTimeStamp $Message

Error is as following:
Invalid key in stanza [fMyLOG] in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/transforms.conf, line 3: SEDCMD-trim_raw  (value:  s%\(\w+\)\s+\|\s+jvm\s+1\s+\|\s+\(\d+\/\d+\/\d+\)\s+\(\d+\:\d+\:\d+\)\s+\|\s+\(.*\)-\s+\(.*\)%\1 \2 \3 \4 \5%).

Am I doing something wrong here?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, you do not need the DEST_KEY, nor the FORMAT; you only need the single SEDCMD line under the stanza header and it needs to be in props.conf, not transforms.conf. It needs to be deployed to your Indexers and all Splunk instances restarted there. This will only effect events which are indexed AFTER the restarts.

0 Karma

davebrooking
Contributor

I think your main problem is that you are trying to do this on the UF. It needs to be done using a heavy forwarder or on the indexer.

For filtering take a look at Filter event data and send to queues in the documentation

Dave

gurveer_singh88

Thanks for your response.

Using UF, I am just forwarding logs.
props.conf and transforms.conf are placed on indexer (Splunk Enterprise).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...