Getting Data In

Event Detail ++ _time field "+" icon

verbal_666
Builder

Hi there.
Did you saw in many events, exploding the event to detail, the _time field has a "+" icon on its side?

_time_+.png

Exploding it, give the detail of created _time field,

_time_+_expanded.png

What's that?

In other events i can't see the "+" icon, also on same server/path/log,

_time_NO+.png

Is it some kind of,

"+" == I, SPLUNK INDEXER, ELABORATED THE TIMESTAMP WITH MY ALGORITHMS BY MYSELF IN THIS WAY

clean, no "+" == automatic timestamp calculation, no elaboration, i found it yet cooked

?

Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @verbal_666,

You can see related documentation below about timestamp information. The events that missing date_* fields may not have extracted time inside.  

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Usedefaultfields#Use_default_fields

Only events that have timestamp information in them as generated by their respective systems will have date_* fields. If an event has a date_* field, it represents the value of time/date directly from the event itself. If you have specified any timezone conversions or changed the value of the time/date at indexing or input time (for example, by setting the timestamp to be the time at index or input time), these fields will not represent that.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @verbal_666,

You can see related documentation below about timestamp information. The events that missing date_* fields may not have extracted time inside.  

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Usedefaultfields#Use_default_fields

Only events that have timestamp information in them as generated by their respective systems will have date_* fields. If an event has a date_* field, it represents the value of time/date directly from the event itself. If you have specified any timezone conversions or changed the value of the time/date at indexing or input time (for example, by setting the timestamp to be the time at index or input time), these fields will not represent that.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

verbal_666
Builder

Clear.
So, an event with _time field with "+", in practice, represents a complete _time extraction with all "date_*" underfields inside 👍
Thanks 👏👏

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...