Getting Data In

Different timestamp recognition for same stanza

bfernandez
Communicator

I am gathering perfmon data from two windows servers but Splunk 5.0 no correctly recognize the timestamp in one of them.

[perfmon://LocalPhysicalDisk]
counters = % Free Space;Free Megabytes
interval = 60
object = LogicalDisk
disabled = 0

Wrong timestamp data is generated on a cloud server with a different time that our network although we are both using the default Microsoft ntp server.

Splunk Timestamp Data Timestamp
11/22/12 9:53:49.765 PM 11/22/2012 21:53:49.765 (local sever)
11/22/12 10:05:38.000 PM 11/22/2012 22:06:21.062 (cloud server)

Why Splunk doesn’t simply use the timestamp of the data?

Thanks!!

bfernandez
Communicator

I am using the default value /etc/datetime.xml to recognise the timestamp in data

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Do you have DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT in your props.conf?

0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

Hello Borja

You should set up correctly the time configuration from windows time to syncronize with a central time server

Reagrds

bfernandez
Communicator

All the servers have the same TZ, but not the same time, so in this case splunk should use the server's TZ.

I reckon that the problem is other but I will try setting this option in props.conf.

Thanks.

lguinn2
Legend

Splunk may be trying to consider the timezone of each server. This might be found in the event - or it could be set in props.conf for cloud server.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...