Getting Data In

Data not incoming

BoldKnowsNothin
Path Finder

My dear comrades,

I'm facing something unreal. We just deployed application on the host that looks like [monitor://C:\Data\log\*].

Unfortunately we cannot see any entries on splunk.

But when I copied some files to another location on host and also we changed application to something like [monitor://C:\Program Files\Data\log\*]. It sends data. 

The folders permission etc are all same. Our application is hard coded so we cannot change the path just like this test.

Any help will be much appreciated

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@BoldKnowsNothin - Please check to see if you have any errors/warnings from that host as suggested by @SanjayReddy .

Also, check if Splunk service is run by a local user or System user on Windows and check if that user running Splunk service has permission to read logs from that folder.

I hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Zane
Explorer

I guess you don't have permission of root directory of C drive, because it's worked when you place file into "C:\Program Files",  just check if you can create the new file (instead of folder) in roo directory of C drive. I guess you should only have permission to create folders now.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@BoldKnowsNothin - Please check to see if you have any errors/warnings from that host as suggested by @SanjayReddy .

Also, check if Splunk service is run by a local user or System user on Windows and check if that user running Splunk service has permission to read logs from that folder.

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

SanjayReddy
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @BoldKnowsNothin 

Did you see any warning/error messages in splunkd.log for file you intially monitored. 
log messages in splunkd.log will help to troubleshoot furthur

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...