Getting Data In

Configure Splunk to use Exchange?

AStaley
Engager

I'm in the process of evaluating Splunk within my company as a means to monitor certain server activity.

I have a simple alert setup to monitor an Event Log and alert me on a specific EventID. The alert itself works and can be viewed in the Alerts window but I'm not receiving an email.

I've configured Splunk with the settings of my email server (Exchange 2007), and given it a valid domain account and also formatted the sender address as user@mydomain.co.uk and the alert is configured with a single email address (mine). I can't see what else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There isn't much to go with here, but here are some trouble-shooting tips you can use.

1. Enable Message Tracking on your Exchange server that is receiving the alert and ensure it is being processed properly
  2. Enable SMTP Transport Logging and see what is actually going on
  3. IN general, Exchange requires authentication - put in an exception for your Splunk server in the hub transport

Let me know if any of that helps.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...