Getting Data In

Cant find data added through inputs.conf

vaishnavi07
Explorer

I tried adding the data through inputs.conf. I am trying to add sample log file from my system to the splunk server. I added the below code to inputs.conf and restarted the server but i dont find any data in my index.

[monitor://C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log]
disabled=0
index=windowsupdate_test
sourcetype=windowsupdate

Does anyone know what may be the issue here? Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Vaishavai07,

May I know Operating system of the forwarder splunk instance and Receiver splunk instance ( Indexer)?,hi vaishnavi,
may I know from which OS you want to get the data in? OR OS of the forwarder?
on which OS u have installed splunk server? OR OS of the Indexer(Receiver)?

OS - operating SYstem

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

Splunk is installed on linux machine. I am only trying to add the file by adding stanza in inputs.Conf but it is showing error as pathbis not absolute.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

You cannot add a windows path as input on a lunix server. If you just want to index the file, copy it over to this directory on the Splunk Indexer $SPLUNK_HOME/var/spool/splunk everything in there will be indexed automatically.

splunker12er
Motivator

Did you search for all time?
Did you see any errors at splunkd.log ?
Are you using universal forwarder ?
- Check for the outputs.conf file for the correct IP of the indexer your are forwarding .

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

Yes i searched for all time. I only need to add data into my server. For now i am not forwarding the data to any othere server.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi vaishnavi07,

there is a long list of possible issues here:

• does the user running splunk have read rights on this file?
  • can you reach the index server from the UF (if you're using an UF, which is an universal forwarder)?
  • did you check on the source, where you changed the inputs.conf, in $SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunk\splunkd.log for any errors?
  • did you do an all time search on the index=windowsupdate_test ?
  • do you have the permission do search this index?
  • does this index exist?
  • typos anywhere?

hope this helps to get you started

cheers, MuS

vaishnavi07
Explorer

Yes am running on linux. Is it not the format?

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

it is located in $SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/system/local. I checked for the typos but everything is fine.Whatever i have posted in the question is what i have given there.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

run $SPLUNK_HOME\bin\splunk cmd btool --debug inputs list monitor and check if your monitor stanza is listed

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

When i run the command it shows that $SPLUNK_HOME should be set. But when i checked in splunk-launch.conf the SPLUNK_HOME is set correctly.

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

When i check splunkd.log it is showing error as path is not aboslute.

0 Karma

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For a monitor line such as
[monitor://C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log] you will get an error that it is not absolute if you are running on UNIX. Are you running on UNIX?

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

Hi Jrodman. Can you tell me the format as to how i should provide the path?

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

When i try adding the same file through UI page it is working. But when i add it through inputs.conf i am not getting the data.

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

Yes that is fine. Even when i add new data it is not getting added. Anything through inputs.conf is not adding.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

where is this inputs.conf located? check for typos in that file

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

you are aware the fact, that once indexed data will not be re-indexed by Splunk simply because you add once again using a different method? You have to clean the so called fishbucket first, this is where Splunk saves what already was indexed.

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

The index name is also not there in the splunkd.log. Does this mean there are no errors or it dint add the data at all?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

did you created an index called windows update_test?

0 Karma

vaishnavi07
Explorer

Yes i have read rights on the file. I checked in splunkd.log and there are no entries in it. And also i did an All time search on the index. I have admin rights on the server and i have write permissions on this index.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...