Getting Data In

Applications

jovnice
Explorer

I am very new to Splunk and having a hard time finding how to monitor applications. Can someone help? 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

jovnice
Explorer

Thanks for the information. For the application I wanted to put an email alert on it for when someone is logging in and out of the application. Is that possible.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Again - it's not how it works.

First, the application itself has to be able to generate - as we say - an "event" which will be either written to a file which Splunk's forwarder will be able to read or sent via network (there are also other ways to receive or pull data into Splunk but these are the most popular ones).

Then you have to ingest that data into Splunk.

When you have this data in Splunk, yes you can schedule a report which will - for example - every 5 minutes check if/how many users logged into your system.

But still, first and foremost, the application itself has to report this action somewhere so that Splunk can get such event. It's not a fortune teller you know 😉

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk on its own is not a "monitoring tool" meaning that Splunk is not meant to do - for example - active checks against an application as monitoring suites do (it probably can be forced to do that but it's not gonna be an optimal solution). Its forte is data analysis. So as long as you have data from external sources, you can put this data into Splunk, search it and analyze. Then - if you have events describing - for example - results of such checks, you can schedule an alert if there are too many failed probes or calculate whether the SLA levels were met or not.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...