Splunk Dev

python or python sdk example for adding data via services/receivers/simple rest

monzy
Communicator

is there an example in the python sdk examples that i can follow to post data to a splunk index via the services/receivers/simple REST endpoint ? if not via python sdk, perhaps something using urllib2 or some other python standard library. i am currently using the python postprocess module with curl as described here. but there is probably a more elegant, sustainable, os independent, way to post data.

0 Karma

monzy
Communicator

thanks Damien. the little preamble to this is that one needs to instantiate a client.connect object (service in the example). i followed this example for the connection setup. between your help and that, this was really painless. thank you.

import splunklib.client as client

HOST = "localhost"
PORT = 8089
USERNAME = "admin"
PASSWORD = "changeme"

# Create a Service instance and log in 
service = client.connect(
    host=HOST,
    port=PORT,
    username=USERNAME,
    password=PASSWORD)

# Send an event over HTTP
# Retrieve the index for the data
myindex = service.indexes["obix"]
# Submit an event over HTTP
myindex.submit("This is my HTTP event", sourcetype="access_combined.log", host="local")

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Example code here : http://dev.splunk.com/view/python-sdk/SP-CAAAEE6#add2index

# Send an event over HTTP

# Retrieve the index for the data
myindex = service.indexes["test_index"]

# Submit an event over HTTP
myindex.submit("This is my HTTP event", sourcetype="access_combined.log", host="local")

The method you want to use (submit) is at line 1823 : https://github.com/splunk/splunk-sdk-python/blob/master/splunklib/client.py

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...