Splunk Dev

What version of Python ships with Splunk?

halr9000
Motivator

As the version of Python may introduce dependencies and incompatibilities, it's important to know what version is shipped with Splunk.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

halr9000
Motivator

Splunk Enterprise

(Also applies to Splunk heavy or lightweight forwarder.)

Splunk 4.1 - 4.2                 Python 2.6.4
Splunk 4.3                       Python 2.7.2
Splunk 5.0                       Python 2.7.3
Splunk 6.0                       Python 2.7.5
Splunk 6.1                       Python 2.7.5

Universal Forwarder

Python is not included, but it can be used for scripted/modular inputs by installing separately. Inputs.conf files may need to be modified in order to execute scripts, depending on the OS configuration.

How to Determine Python Version

You can always find out the Python version like so:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/python --version

Also, the Splunk release notes should reflect the Python version. For example, for 5.0: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/ReleaseNotes/Python

View solution in original post

halr9000
Motivator

Splunk Enterprise

(Also applies to Splunk heavy or lightweight forwarder.)

Splunk 4.1 - 4.2                 Python 2.6.4
Splunk 4.3                       Python 2.7.2
Splunk 5.0                       Python 2.7.3
Splunk 6.0                       Python 2.7.5
Splunk 6.1                       Python 2.7.5

Universal Forwarder

Python is not included, but it can be used for scripted/modular inputs by installing separately. Inputs.conf files may need to be modified in order to execute scripts, depending on the OS configuration.

How to Determine Python Version

You can always find out the Python version like so:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/python --version

Also, the Splunk release notes should reflect the Python version. For example, for 5.0: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/ReleaseNotes/Python

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Docs are fixed, thanks!

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

@ChrisG The docs are wrong. We should have somebody fix that. 😉 Srsly, confirmed this with 5.0.1.

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The 5.0 release notes say it's Python 2.7.2, not 2.7.3. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/ReleaseNotes/Python

0 Karma

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@halr9000 The last time I tried, I don't believe the sqlite3 module was included either. That may have changed

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

@dshpritz answer 3138 (linked above) says that distutils module isn't included, so that's one difference that I'm aware of. I know that our distribution of 2.6 doesn't include argparse, but for all I know, that wasn't included with standard Python until 2.7 anyhow.

0 Karma

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Also good to know:
From what I understand, this is not the standard distribution of Python, so some of the standard libs might not be available.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

Also note that the Splunk App for VMware "FA" (forwarder appliance) versions 1 and 2 ship with Splunk 4.2.5 configured as a heavy forwarder.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...