Splunk Dev

Unable to get proper file permission of an app package

Mr2022
Explorer

I pack an splunk app by tar command in an linux host, running as a root user. As a result the owner and group owner are both 'root'. After I installed to Splunk Enterprise, I found that the depressed directory and its files are all owned by 'root['. However, other installed app directories and files are belong to 'splunk'. 

So, should I su to splunk first and then pack the app file?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hiya - My preference is the Splunk Enterprise CLI command . Ideally Splunk isn't running as root so run this as the same user Splunk is running as. I find it does the best job ensuring the package is most compliant. You MAY still need to tweak file and directory permissions, remove hidden files, and clean up any local dir content before you wanna publish it for others.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the app is owned by any user but is world (or at least splunk) readable, it should "mostly work" meaning that splunk will he able to read its contents and apply settings. But you may face problems if the app is more complicated than a simple list of props/transforms. For example if the app is configured from the WebUI and writes its settings into its own local folder. That will of course not work if splunkd does not have permissions to write to that dir.

So long story short - do change your app files/dirs ownership to your splunk user.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hiya - My preference is the Splunk Enterprise CLI command . Ideally Splunk isn't running as root so run this as the same user Splunk is running as. I find it does the best job ensuring the package is most compliant. You MAY still need to tweak file and directory permissions, remove hidden files, and clean up any local dir content before you wanna publish it for others.

0 Karma

Mr2022
Explorer

Thanks for your help. I found that I trigger the splunkd as root, not splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...