Splunk Dev

Replacing app results in 404 page not found

token1
Explorer

Hello, I'm trying to replace a custom app that had all references of a word changed to another (like a company rename thing) such as in saved search titles, panel titles etc.

I delete the old app folder and paste over the new app folder (same app but used a script to replace all word 'x' to word 'y'), ensure file permissions are inherited and double checked, restart splunk.  But when I try to navigate to that app I get the Splunk's version of 404 page not found (picture of buttercup in a black splunk shirt).

Am I missing a key step?  Maybe some reference to the original app path in system?  Maybe should work and the issue is the script that replaced the keyword could have broken something?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

token1
Explorer

Thank you, did that as well during trouble shooting- no dice.

I found this in the web_service log

"An unknown view name "myapp" is referenced in the navigation definition for "myapp".

Somehow both the scripted approach and a manual approach with Notepad++ 'in file' search didn't catch a view I had in myapp/default/data/ui/views still had an 'oldmyapp' view name referenced.  Fixed it, restart, works now.  Thanks all for the replies.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Did you restart Splunk?
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

token1
Explorer

Yes, "double checked, restart splunk"

I stopped the splunk service, moved the app, started it.  Restarted it.  I'm doing this on a VM so have been using a snapshot to try things like moving the new app in before deleting the old app.  Interestingly the new app still gets named as the old one.  I manually change the name in the WebUI, it still gets a 404.  I might do a more manual version of name changing, maybe a stanza got affected in a bad way.  

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
In addition to renaming the folder, you must change the name in the app's default/app.conf file.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

token1
Explorer

Thank you, did that as well during trouble shooting- no dice.

I found this in the web_service log

"An unknown view name "myapp" is referenced in the navigation definition for "myapp".

Somehow both the scripted approach and a manual approach with Notepad++ 'in file' search didn't catch a view I had in myapp/default/data/ui/views still had an 'oldmyapp' view name referenced.  Fixed it, restart, works now.  Thanks all for the replies.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...