Deployment Architecture

Why is Docker latest not on most recent version

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm a huge fan of the Splunk Docker container. I noticed the 'latest' tag hasn't been updated in a few months and is still Splunk Enterprise 8.2.5 even though Splunk Enterprise 8.2.6 has been released. Then I noticed that even though 'latest' hasn't updated, the image for Splunk Enterprise 8.2.6 has been added to the Docker images list. See splunk/splunk tags.

I'm no Docker expert so I'm guessing I am just missing some obvious thing....

Why is the splunk/splunk:latest not pointing to the latest release of splunk/splunk:8.2.6?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

amayor_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi! This is likely just due to an error in our build and publish pipeline when 8.2.6 was released. I'll fix that today so that the image tagged as `latest` is in fact accurate. Appreciate you calling it out and sorry for any confusion. 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

joostdecock
Observer

There's more: The email address listed in the README on the Docker hub is docker-maint@splunk.com

But that address does not exist:

docker-maint@splunk.com
[142.251.2.27]
Remote Server returned '554 5.0.0 <[142.251.2.27] #5.0.0 smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-"5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist.

0 Karma

amayor_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi! This is likely just due to an error in our build and publish pipeline when 8.2.6 was released. I'll fix that today so that the image tagged as `latest` is in fact accurate. Appreciate you calling it out and sorry for any confusion. 

0 Karma

joostdecock
Observer

We are now more than 1 month post CVE-2022-32158 and customers running Splunk 8 on Docker are still waiting for a fix.

The latest docker images are 8.1.10 and 8.2.6 (both from 3 months ago).
No sign of 8.1.10.1 or 8.2.6.1, despite this being a critical vulnerability with a score of 9.0.

I would really appreciate if this could be addressed so we can run the latest in Docker.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...