Deployment Architecture

Updating the 'deploymentclient.conf' on Forwarders to Point to New Deployment Server

rgcurry
Contributor

I am migrating to a new architecture with my Splunk implementation. In this change I will be creating a new Deployment Server. I want to get this change rolled out to all of my Forwarders but from what I've read in the doc, I cannot update the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/deploymentclient.conf via the Deployment Server. I have an app called 'deployment_client' that was setup to send config changes to the Forwarder but the etc/system/local copy of deploymentclient.conf trumps any duplicated keyword=value pair so I cannot use that to make this change.

Rolling this around in my head I thought -- maybe -- I can create an app in the Deployment Server on the old platform that will send and execute a script that will also carry with it a new version of the deploymentclient.conf with the correct settings and copy that over the existing version of the file then issue a restart command. This app will not exist on the new Deployment Server so this [script: ...] app will be removed from the Forwarders after they restart, connect to the new Deployment Server and "phone home" and get their updates.

Does anyone see something I do not or something that I have missed with this idea?

Rick

1 Solution

rgcurry
Contributor

It seems that I misread the doc and that I can update my deployment_client app with the new settings, deploy that to the Forwarders and the change will take place as needed and wanted.

Is this a great product or what?! Clearly the designers and developers think thru some pretty impressive use cases as they built and continue to improve Splunk. The more I work with it the more I not only love the product but see the many possibilities for which we can use it.

View solution in original post

rgcurry
Contributor

It seems that I misread the doc and that I can update my deployment_client app with the new settings, deploy that to the Forwarders and the change will take place as needed and wanted.

Is this a great product or what?! Clearly the designers and developers think thru some pretty impressive use cases as they built and continue to improve Splunk. The more I work with it the more I not only love the product but see the many possibilities for which we can use it.

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The system always prefers the system/local version. The configs in system/default provide a base. Next, the default configs from apps (in etc/apps/<app>/default) are layered on, then the local configs from apps, then finally system/local.

For this reason, when using the deployment server, it's preferred not to write application settings to system/local, as they will never be overridden by any application you deploy.

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

I'm not seeing that behavior. Can you point me to the docs that explain it? I have an 'outputs' app that includes a deploymentclient.conf file. However, it is ignored. The system prefers the system/local version.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...