Deployment Architecture

Unable to forward data to Splunk Cloud Instance

sairam109

hi,

I have a local server on my network and would like to send data from this local host to the cloud instance. I have followed the instructions here, https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/8.2.3/Forwarder/ConfigSCUFCredentials and installed the splunkclouduf.spl obtained from my cloud instance profile. However I seem to be getting the following errors:

11-12-2021 13:56:53.874 +0800 WARN X509Verify [30879 HTTPDispatch] - X509 certificate (O=SplunkUser,CN=SplunkServerDefaultCert) should not be used, as it is issued by Splunk's own default Certificate Authority (CA). This puts your Splunk instance at very high-risk of the MITM attack. Either commercial-CA-signed or self-CA-signed certificates must be used; see: <http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Security/Howtoself-signcertificates>
11-12-2021 13:56:53.901 +0800 INFO UiHttpListener [30942 WebuiStartup] - Web UI disabled in web.conf [settings]; not starting
11-12-2021 13:56:54.039 +0800 INFO TcpOutputProc [30923 parsing] - _isHttpOutConfigured=NOT_CONFIGURED
11-12-2021 13:56:54.040 +0800 ERROR TcpOutputProc [30923 parsing] - LightWeightForwarder/UniversalForwarder not configured. Please configure outputs.conf.
11-12-2021 13:56:58.961 +0800 WARN TailReader [30932 tailreader0] - Could not send data to output queue (parsingQueue), retrying...

I thought that once we deploy via the splunkclouduf.spl, we need not configure any outputs.conf file?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Hi
You are running UF as a splunk user and also that splunkclouduf.spl are installed and owner by this user?
r. Ismo
0 Karma

sairam109

Hi Ismo,

Nice to e-meet you 🙂 Thanks for responding to my query.

It appears I might have somehow messed up the installation using the spl credential file. I just did a reinstall and seems to be working fine now. Thanks! Apologies for the inconvenience! 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Nice to hear that it works for you. Happy splunking
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...