Deployment Architecture

Splunk 5 Clustering: Indexes not seen In clustering dashboard on the master node

dshakespeare_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When looking at the clustering dashboard on the master node, only see the default indexes are listed in the index details: (summary, _audit and _internal). Customer created indexes are not visible.

1 Solution

dshakespeare_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The problem was caused by the fact that repfactor attribute was not set to "auto" for the newly added indexes in the peers indexes.conf.

repFactor=auto is set automatically for the default indexes when you enable clustering, but new indexes that you wish to replicate have to be configured manually.

See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/Indexer/Configurethepeerindexes for full information

View solution in original post

VSIRIS
Path Finder

That was the exact setting that I missed, after that rep_factor setting now I see all indexes.

0 Karma

davidpaper
Contributor

Also - customer created indexes don't show up in the clustering dashboard until there is an event in them! This confounded me for hours one day until I decided to send some data to the index, and lo and behold, as soon as there was a hot bucket for the index on one of my indexers, it immediately shows up in the clustering dashboard.

Lucas_K
Motivator

Probably just to do with how the dashboard searches are created. The only way around it is to have a savedsearch csv populating lookup which is then called in the dashboard. This way you can show empty indexes.

0 Karma

dshakespeare_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The problem was caused by the fact that repfactor attribute was not set to "auto" for the newly added indexes in the peers indexes.conf.

repFactor=auto is set automatically for the default indexes when you enable clustering, but new indexes that you wish to replicate have to be configured manually.

See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0/Indexer/Configurethepeerindexes for full information

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...