Deployment Architecture

Setting deployment-client clientName programmatically during Windows forwarder install?

gowen
Path Finder

I am testing automatic/silent install of the Universal Forwarder under Windows. As documented here, I can do a silent install and point the forwarder at my Deployment Server. However, there's no obvious way to set the clientName from the deployment-client stanza of deploymentclient.conf.

It seems silly to use the silent installer only to turn around and copy over one of the files created by the installer in order to add this, and we've got a well-established system of using this field for serverclass.conf.

Does anyone know of a programmatic way to set this field so I can keep my install nice and automated?

0 Karma

treinke
Builder

I might be missing something but couldn't you echo the line you wanted in to the file?

echo servername=%computername% > c:\program...\serverclass.conf

There are no answer without questions
0 Karma

gowen
Path Finder

Yes, I can just echo the values I want into the file, or even more simply, copy a replacement file into place. I was hoping to limit the install to a single msiexec execution, but expanding it to a batch file with support files isn't all that much worse. I have been pleasantly surprised by command line options I didn't expect in the past, though, and was hoping for that here.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...