Deployment Architecture

No internal logs received?

Alixfire
Loves-to-Learn

Hello,

Can anyone help me out with the problem of client connected to deployment server but unable to send logs of any kind. No internal logs and no monitored logs are being received at indexer even though phone home is happening and apps being deployed at the client.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The indexer and the deployment server (DS) should be different instances so connectivity to one does not imply connectivity to the other.

Verify the DS is delivering the right outputs.conf file to the client.  If SSL is used, make sure that file contains the SSL password and the right certificates are also sent to the client. 

Verify firewalls allow connections from client to indexer. 

Check the splunkd.log file on the client for messages that might explain the cause of the problem.

Make sure the indexer has port 9997 (or your chosen port for receiving data) open.  See Settings->Forwarding and Receiving.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Alixfire
Loves-to-Learn

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I tried the things you mentioned and telnet is also working fine for indexer and DS on the specified ports. Also appropriate permissions are on place for the splunk user on servers.  While all are working fine logs are not being forwarded. Any alternate things to look out for this issue. @richgalloway.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you read splunkd.log on the client?  If the client is unable to send data to the indexer then there should be a lot of messages in the log complaining about that.  That assumes the client has data to send, of course.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...