Deployment Architecture

How to replace a standalone search head

michaelissartel
Explorer

Hi,

How can I replace a dead standalone search-head ?

With the pre-saved data I should have used in this migration procedure ? https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/DistSearch/Migratefromstandalonesearchheads

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi michaelissartel,
in your backups, have you the splunk installation folder?
If yes, you can choose and copy all the custom apps and eventual special configuration because they are all in $SPLUNK_HOME\etc folder.
If you can use the same hostname and ip address of the dead machine, you could install the same Splunk version and then replace the full etc folder from the dead machine in the new one and after upgrade Splunk (if needed).

Bye.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi michaelissartel,
in your backups, have you the splunk installation folder?
If yes, you can choose and copy all the custom apps and eventual special configuration because they are all in $SPLUNK_HOME\etc folder.
If you can use the same hostname and ip address of the dead machine, you could install the same Splunk version and then replace the full etc folder from the dead machine in the new one and after upgrade Splunk (if needed).

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...