Deployment Architecture

How to Move manually buckets from hot to cold

ajromero
Path Finder

we set the buckets to roll from hot into cold for 90 days, but for some reason is not doing it and we are running low on space. How can I manually move buckets from to cold to free space

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Buckets normally move from hot to warm to cold rather than from hot directly to cold.

The default lifespan for a hot bucket is 90 days, after which it should roll to warm.  This can be changed with the maxHotSpanSecs attribute in indexes.conf.  You can also force a roll using REST or by restarting the indexer(s).

For a list of other attributes that affect index retention at each level, see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/Indexer/Configureindexstorage

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Buckets normally move from hot to warm to cold rather than from hot directly to cold.

The default lifespan for a hot bucket is 90 days, after which it should roll to warm.  This can be changed with the maxHotSpanSecs attribute in indexes.conf.  You can also force a roll using REST or by restarting the indexer(s).

For a list of other attributes that affect index retention at each level, see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/Indexer/Configureindexstorage

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...