Deployment Architecture

[HEC] SHIFT-JIS Character recognition

sylim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have some data that is being collected from an AWS lambda and delivered to Splunk via HEC with the listeners on the indexers.

This data contains Japanese characters but is not displaying properly in SplunkWeb.

I have applied a host level stanza on both the search head and indexers to CHARSET = SHIFT-JIS, however, the data is still displayed as question marks in SplunkWeb. I have tried AUTO, UTF-8 and SHIFT-JIS without success.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sylim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When you send data over HEC, especially for international character data, make sure to specify the charset encoding for the data set. That way the receiving end knows its charset encoding and how to decrypt. Oftentimes the encryption method is different than what you expect.

Here's a good example for your reference:

https://medium.com/@rysartem/sending-data-to-splunk-hec-in-a-right-way-4a84af3c44e2

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sylim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When you send data over HEC, especially for international character data, make sure to specify the charset encoding for the data set. That way the receiving end knows its charset encoding and how to decrypt. Oftentimes the encryption method is different than what you expect.

Here's a good example for your reference:

https://medium.com/@rysartem/sending-data-to-splunk-hec-in-a-right-way-4a84af3c44e2

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...