Deployment Architecture

Change Universal forwarder metrics from _internal index to another index possible?

hethu
Path Finder

Hi,

I want to monitor a whole bunch of Universal Forwarders that i have set up and configured. All data from these are all forwarded to a heavy forwarder that forwards everything to Splunk Cloud.

My problem is that i have only access to one index in the cloud, but not the _internal index that receives UF metrics. Is it possible to change the index from _internal to the one I have access to in the UF config?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

While, in theory, it may be possible to have the data go to a different index, I advise against it.  First, some of the references to _internal may be hardcoded so you won't be able to change 100% of the events. Second, making such a change may have side effects such as built-in dashboards and alerts no longer working.  Finally, data written to _internal is free whereas sending to a different index will count against your license.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...