Dashboards & Visualizations

default.xml permission

ngholmieh
Explorer

Hi-

i am trying to modify permissions on the nav menu of an app, default.xml. After i save my change, and click on the permissions link again, i see that the change did not take effect.

I did find the following similar post:
http://answers.splunk.com/answers/84175/cant-set-permissions-for-the-navigation-menu

there is not definite answer as to what we should do to fix this. I tried adding the metadata folder with local.meta file in $SPLUNK/etc/apps/idm_app/local/ directory containing this:

more local.meta

[nav/default]
access = read : [ * ], write : [ admin, role_idm ]
owner = nobody

Still the permissions page does NOT show the write checkbox for the role_idm checked.

Can anyone recommend a way to make this work?

THanks!
Nathalie

0 Karma

SarahBOA
Path Finder

Make sure all default.xml files in every app have app level permissions. We had another default.xml file in a different app set with global permissions. Once we changed all default.xml files to have app level permissions, we did see the changes we had made to the permissions show up in the UI and the correct roles were able to edit it.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi ngholmieh,

your local.meta file should be in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/YourAppDir/metadata/ not in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/YourAppDir/local/.

See the docs for more details ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

which account the splunkd is running under? could you provide admin access to all the path?

[nav/default]

owner = admin

0 Karma

ngholmieh
Explorer

yes i did. still same behavior. THanks for your help!
N~

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

did you restart splunk?

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

I will look at this tomorrow 😉

0 Karma

ngholmieh
Explorer

Hi MuS-

thanks for your answer. I did create the file in the wrong place indeed, but i went back and checked that the local.meta file actually existed in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/MyAppDir/metadata/, and it had the appropriate perms

[nav/default]
owner = nobody
version = xxx
modtime = xxx

however users in role_admin still cannot write to nav/default.xml

when i re-open the permissions page in the GUI, i only see write for admin.

Any other hints?

thanks!
n~

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...