Dashboards & Visualizations

Why am I unable to view/delete a users dashboards/reports as an Admin?

CaptainHook
Communicator

Hello everyone, I was hoping that somebody might be able to assist me with understanding an issue I have run across with dashboards and reports. I have a user who created some reports and dashboards...who is now attempting to clean up this space and was going through the process of deleting. It allows him to click on the edit and delete; However, they're still visible to him and he can use them as if they still exist. All schedules remain active too.

As Admin, I have attempted to go into their app and delete both the reports and dashboards for him. Unfortunately, they are not visible to me. (seem to not exist). I even had the user walk me through his actions to confirm what he I seeing and send me a link to his reports. When I click on the URL, it returns a "404" error- stating: Splunk cannot find the "" view.

I was informed of a bug that was addressed in 6.1 that may have some reference to this issue. I have the understanding that our systems were patched, so, I am curious if this issue has been seen or if anyone might be aware of a fix.

Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

maciep
Champion

I don't think you would ever be able to open link to someone's private object in Splunk, but you should be able to see if the report/view exists.

Have you checked the back end on the search head(s) to see if the files still exist under $splunk_home/etc/users/[that user]? How many search heads do you have?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

I don't think you would ever be able to open link to someone's private object in Splunk, but you should be able to see if the report/view exists.

Have you checked the back end on the search head(s) to see if the files still exist under $splunk_home/etc/users/[that user]? How many search heads do you have?

0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator

maciep, thank you very much for your suggestion. I was able to find both the reports and the dashboards in the configuration files. This has answered my question! Much appreciated!!!

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I converted this to the answer so you may mark it as such.

Just some more advice... In the GUI you may find that your admin roles don't have write access to the app. If his searches were private the only way you can see them is to look at settings -> "all configurations" and select the app, then select all users.

0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator

Thank you jkat54. I appreciate you converting this to an answer and the additional information. Great advice.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you mark as the answer please?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try log out the user, clear browser history/cache and cookies on that user's machine, and try log back in. (it's weird but worked once for me on similar issue)

0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator

Somesoni2, thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, this was already tried with no success. It has actually been a frustration for him for a while, and he has only just shared to get my assistance for a resolution.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...