Dashboards & Visualizations

Use table/row highlighting questions

eholz1
Contributor

Hello All,

Basic questions on using table row highlighting

1. Do I need to have an "app" to use the various java scripts, and jquery scripts, etc

2. a quote from the instal area, "you need to save the libraries directly into your app directory. "

I do not have an "app" in this path:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/[YourApp]/appserver/static/table_cell_highlighting.js
I see were all these scripts and libraries are stored in the simple_xml_examples path.

I only have a dashboard which returns/shows a list of users and hosts, and whether or
not the user is loggoed on. It is just a dashboard not an "app"
There is a "search" app in the path above: $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps, would I
create a directory there called "my_app" , or something like that, and put all
the jquery scripts and the css and the js. in that directory.

The install process for the dashboard Examples is not really clear to me.

Thanks,
eholz1

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The quote in the second question answers the first.  Yes, your files need to be in an app.  All shared user-created objects must be in an app.  

Let's take a moment to clear up what an app is.  A Splunk app is not like the apps on your phone.  A app in Splunk is just a named collection of config files and, sometimes, executables.

If you don't have an app, it's easy to create one.  Go to the Manage Apps page and click the "Create app" button.  Fill in the form and you have an app!  There are other ways to create an app, but newbies should stick with that one.

Once you have your own app, follow the instructions in the Splunk Dashboard Examples apps to put the needed files in the right places.

I always advise against putting custom knowledge objects ("dashboards", etc.) in the Search & Reporting app - use a custom app for them.  This separation may help you later when your Splunk environment expands or if you move to Splunk Cloud.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @eholz1,

it seems to you that you're not using an app, but you're using the defaulr "Search and reporting" app, so you could put the javascript files in this app.

Anyway I don't hint to do this also because it's always better to put own custom dashboards and knowledge objects in one dedicated app.

In other words I discourage to use the Search and Reporting App for every activity: create your own custom app and put all the objects inside it.

You could also use the java scripts present in the Dashboard Examples app, but usually this app is installed only in development systems, never in productin systems, so, it's always better to put your files in a dedicated app.

The install process of the Splunk Dashboard Examples app is the same of each Splunk App:

you have to upload it using the GUI interface and the app is installed in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

eholz1
Contributor

Hello gcusello

What you say makes total sense, will do, and richgalloway says the same, so I will look into creating an app..

Thanks so much,

eholz1
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The quote in the second question answers the first.  Yes, your files need to be in an app.  All shared user-created objects must be in an app.  

Let's take a moment to clear up what an app is.  A Splunk app is not like the apps on your phone.  A app in Splunk is just a named collection of config files and, sometimes, executables.

If you don't have an app, it's easy to create one.  Go to the Manage Apps page and click the "Create app" button.  Fill in the form and you have an app!  There are other ways to create an app, but newbies should stick with that one.

Once you have your own app, follow the instructions in the Splunk Dashboard Examples apps to put the needed files in the right places.

I always advise against putting custom knowledge objects ("dashboards", etc.) in the Search & Reporting app - use a custom app for them.  This separation may help you later when your Splunk environment expands or if you move to Splunk Cloud.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

eholz1
Contributor

Hello richgalloway and giuecello,

Thanks, I am just embarking on trying to make progress in dashboard use, etc.

Your suggestions are very helpful

eholz1

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...