Dashboards & Visualizations

How can I retrieve another field value from dashboard dropdown?

tamduong16
Contributor

I have an index which consists of 2 fields: name and id. When I created the dropdown, I made it base of name since it is easier for user to identify. But I really need the id as an input for my other searches. I thought I could achieve this by field for label and field for value but it doesn't work. What can I do to get the value of id but doesn't have to create a join for all of my other searches, since I already have a join in my search?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@tamduong16, do you mean to say that your query for dropdown has Name but not id? Even if you currently already have join in your existing search but it does not return Id field values, it would be of no use. Your query would need to return both fields so that Name can be used as Label and Id can be used as Value.

If Name and ID exist in the same index, in order for community members to assist you would need to provide your existing query? Your sample data with Name and Ids respectively (also their field names). And also the correlation between the two fields.

renjith_nair
Legend

@tamduong16,

field for label and field for value works in this case. Please find below the sample xml

Here I have created 5 sample values with id and name and displayed name in the dropdown and the token is set to corresponding id and then i could use the id token in other searches

<form>
  <fieldset submitButton="false" autoRun="false">
    <input type="dropdown" token="id">
      <label>Name</label>
      <fieldForLabel>name</fieldForLabel>
      <fieldForValue>id</fieldForValue>
      <search>
        <query>| makeresults |eval ids="1,2,3,4,5"|eval names="A,B,C,D,E"| makemv delim="," ids|makemv delim="," names
|eval z=mvzip(ids,names)|table z| mvexpand z|eval x=split(z,",")|eval id=mvindex(x,0),name=mvindex(x,1)|table id,name</query>
        <earliest>-15m</earliest>
        <latest>now</latest>
      </search>
      <default>1</default>
      <initialValue>1</initialValue>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <html>
      <h1 align="center"> Selected id is <font color="red">$id$</font></h1>
    </html>
  </row>
</form>
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...