Community Blog
Get the latest updates on the Splunk Community, including member experiences, product education, events, and more!

Humans That Splunk: Meet Chris Kaye

sensitive-thug
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Chris Kaye (a.k.a. ITWhisperer) is a Solution Design Professional at BT and joined the Splunk community in August 2020, after two years of learning Splunk. You may recognize him from the Splunk Answers karma leaderboard, as he consistently ranks at the top. So, what's the story behind the username 'ITWhisperer'? Chris says it's a bit of a private joke because oftentimes when people call upon him for help with a problem they're ready to give up on, the issue magically "fixes itself" before he has the chance to solve it.

We asked Chris to answer a few questions and share some of his work, so we could share his story with you. Read on to get to know what makes ITWhisperer tick 😄.

How has Splunk positively impacted your career?

"I am still just a user of Splunk, however, Splunk has enabled me to provide insights into how the applications that I am responsible for behave, allowing me to engage with the operations teams and interested parties from the business, to share these insights, and help not only solve incidents but also avoid them, by detecting anomalies before they become issues. This has brought some small measure of praise and recognition for this valuable activity."

Can you tell us about a moment when you were really proud of what you were able to accomplish with Splunk?

"My first dashboard was one of my proudest moments. Prior to using Splunk, I had been trying to develop a dashboard of sorts, using basic scripts and some limited presentation capabilities, to track certain types of transactions flowing (and not flowing) through the system, and it was taking some time to get all the right pieces set up so the data could be collected, analyzed and presented in a timely fashion. Luckily, Splunk came along before it was too late, and the switch to Splunk made it so much easier (once we had got all the connectivity set up), and it didn't take long to get the first dashboard up and running."

Besides something work-related, how has the Splunk community impacted you as a person?

"Involvement with the Splunk community has allowed me to use and develop skills that would not normally be part of my day-to-day work, which I have developed through my other interests and activities. I am, by nature, a shy person, but the community gives me the opportunity to speak up and help others whilst maintaining my anonymity (which, of course, is now blown 🙂), so the fact that I am doing this interview says something about the confidence the community has given me."

— Michelle Schlachta, Community + Content at Splunk

Subscribe to the Humans That Splunk label (while signed in) to learn about other community members who are super-passionate about Splunk, and get notified when new stories are published.

Dashboard 1: This dashboard shows today, yesterday and last week as pie charts for easy comparison to see if something unusual happened. Below that are stats where the cells look and behave like buttons, drilling down to another panel for details behind that particular stat; this is all done with CSS (no Javascript).Dashboard 1: This dashboard shows today, yesterday and last week as pie charts for easy comparison to see if something unusual happened. Below that are stats where the cells look and behave like buttons, drilling down to another panel for details behind that particular stat; this is all done with CSS (no Javascript).

Dashboard 2: This second panel (from the same dashboard above, coincidentally) shows the stats over a week with an overlay of the average over the last month for each hour of the day, again for easy comparison to see if there has been a significant change in volumes.Dashboard 2: This second panel (from the same dashboard above, coincidentally) shows the stats over a week with an overlay of the average over the last month for each hour of the day, again for easy comparison to see if there has been a significant change in volumes.

Tags (2)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...