Splunk Dev

Is it possible to make an mvexpand in custom python search function?

sbsbb
Builder

I would like to make a streamable custom function, that get some xml message :

index=* parameter1=2 | myCustomFunction

This function should read the content of field1, and for each element write a new line.
Is it possible to make an "mvexpand" in my custom python search function ? Can I add a result event ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi sbsbb,

yes, this is possible within your script. You need to load the following Splunk Python module splunk.Intersplunk and use splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults() to recieve key=value pairs from the previous results.

This means, if your base search returns field1=foo your script can then use this key field1 and its value of foo.

As always, docs is a good place to start Custom search commands

hope this helps to get you started ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi sbsbb,

yes, this is possible within your script. You need to load the following Splunk Python module splunk.Intersplunk and use splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults() to recieve key=value pairs from the previous results.

This means, if your base search returns field1=foo your script can then use this key field1 and its value of foo.

As always, docs is a good place to start Custom search commands

hope this helps to get you started ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

sbsbb
Builder

I know that...
In fact I was not aware that I can simply just append many row to the results (thats what mvexpand make) :
for result in results:

out_results.append(result)
        out_results.append(result)  

si.outputResults(out_results)
0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

okay, completely miss understood the question in this case 🙂

Still, if you want to write a custom command that reads something from events ( like mvexpand does ) your custom command script needs the splunk.Intersplunk module to be loaded.

0 Karma

sbsbb
Builder

That doesn't help at all, sorry, I was asking on how to make a mvexpand in my code... not how to retrieve Data...

Let say, I'm reading a line, and I want to duplicate this line x-time, to expand the values from one field (what mvexpand make in the search command, but I need to make it in the script)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...