Splunk Dev

Help installing Numpy!

sdorich
Communicator

Hi,

I might need to post this in a Python community but thought I'd start here since I've done this on other servers and haven't had problems. So I'm trying to install setuptools and Numpy for Splunk's OOB Python (version 2.7.5). But I keep running into problems (like "no module named ctypes" even though I have ctypes via a "yum" installation). And this is only one of the problems I've ran into. Another big one was "Python.h couldn't be compiled". Anyway, bottom line is I just need to install Numpy so I can use it for a search command (that uses python algorithm that depends on the Numpy module).

If anyone has ever successfully done this, please help!

By the way, I don't understand why Numpy wouldn't be bundled with Splunk's OOB Python. Numpy is popular and powerful for analytics. Isn't Splunk's advantage over other logging vendors powerful analytics??

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sdorich
Communicator

Figured it out...

1) Build and install Python2.7.5 (Redhat's current OOB Python version is 2.6)
After downloading & unzipping,
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

2) Install EPEL repo using RPM command
3) $ yum install python-pip
OR $ yum install python-pip
4) $ pip install numpy --upgrade

Then everything is in place.. however, I still think the Numpy module should come OOB with Splunk.

View solution in original post

sdorich
Communicator

Figured it out...

1) Build and install Python2.7.5 (Redhat's current OOB Python version is 2.6)
After downloading & unzipping,
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

2) Install EPEL repo using RPM command
3) $ yum install python-pip
OR $ yum install python-pip
4) $ pip install numpy --upgrade

Then everything is in place.. however, I still think the Numpy module should come OOB with Splunk.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...