All Apps and Add-ons

troubleshooting mailclient

jibanes
Path Finder

TA-mailclient should output to splunkd.log the result of POP/IMAP connections, in order to troubleshoot errors; or simply alert a user if his password is no longer valid or simply if mailclient wasn't able to retrieve emails.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

Hi Jibanes, were you trying to connect to port 110/ 143?

I've just updated it and fixed a few issues along the way.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

Hi Jibanes,

I've uploaded an update. This should be fixed now. All exceptions will now be handled in someway, and you should find login failures with :
index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd component=ExecProcessor mail.py log_level=INFO

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @jibanes - Looks like you had a good conversation with seunomosowon and made a lot of progress here. Just wondering if your question was resolved after all that? If yes, please don't forget to click "Accept" below the answer so that other users will know it's resolved. Thanks!

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

Did you get around to testing it? I tried it out with Gmail, GMX and a few others.
I also tested it with mails with unicode encoding, so it should work even better now.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

Looks like something about your permissions.
Can you try reading the input again?

Thanks

0 Karma

jibanes
Path Finder

I'm logged in as admin, I tired again but it caused the same issue.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

One last try, with v0.5.0. I think i might have fixed it, and i've just tested with 3 mail servers.

Cheers

0 Karma

jibanes
Path Finder

looks like 0.4.9 is the latest one downloadable as of 2016.10.21 06.40 PST

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

It's available, just not the default. I'll make it the default now.

0 Karma

jibanes
Path Finder

Not sure why, but it's no longer downloadable, neither button works; but I'm logged into splunkbase and can download other apps.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator
0 Karma

jibanes
Path Finder

see by yourself:

https://eskimo.com/~jibanes/splunk/mailclient.png

I think it's an issue with splunkbase though... hopefully it will work at some point, what's weird is that it affects your app only.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

Yeah. I've seen that with other apps using safari on a Mac. Tried with Firefox and it worked fine last time.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

Forgot to push the commit to the GitHub repo. If you still can't before Sunday, it'll be up on git then.

0 Karma

jibanes
Path Finder

thanks, as of 2016-10-21 5:19pm PST only 0.49 is available on splunkbase, please update github's when you have a chance...

0 Karma

jibanes
Path Finder

2016-10-21 6:52pm, 0.50 is downloadable, will try this weekend and report results.

0 Karma

jibanes
Path Finder

nope, this is what I get with 0.50:

10-22-2016 02:30:00.001 +0000 INFO ExecProcessor - setting reschedule_ms=86399999, for command=python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-mailclient/bin/mail.py
10-22-2016 02:30:00.352 +0000 INFO ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/TA-mailclient/bin/mail.py" Got credentials from endpoint - Username(xxx@gmail.com)

then nothing, index is empty a few minutes after 2:30.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

I think i might have found the issue with gmail. Something about the encoding. Should release an update tomorrow.

Cheers,

0 Karma

jibanes
Path Finder

thanks keep me updated.

0 Karma

seunomosowon
Communicator

Hi,
Broke my screen, hence the late release.

I've updated it now. Supports gmail now. Still looking into why it didn't log some debug messages about the issue.

Cheers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...