All Apps and Add-ons

lookup file editor app - chrome won't list the existing lookup files anymore - nothing has been changed

kcooper
Communicator

we have been using Lookup File Editor for a long time. All of a sudden yesterday some customers couldn't access existing lookup files. we thought it was a cache issue. I cleared by cache in Chrome and now i cannot access any of the lookup files.
Under apps, i select Lookup Editor - all the files (.csv) are listed but when i click on one of the file, everything disappears and i only see the headers

Splunk>enterprise App: Lookup Editor

Lookups New Lookup

That is all - everything below is blank.
We have not upgraded the Lookup file editor or anything else.
The same thing is happening in our Dev Splunk SH as well. I upgraded that last week but it is occurring on that SH as well.
Any idea why the Lookup File editor wouldn't be working correctly anymore?
Any help is appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kcooper
Communicator

Turns out that after running /debug/refresh

https://searchheadname.company.org:8000/debug/refresh

the SH didn't refresh the apps correctly.
Once i restarted splunk service on the SH, the upgraded app worked correctly.

Thank you for trying to help me with this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kcooper
Communicator

Turns out that after running /debug/refresh

https://searchheadname.company.org:8000/debug/refresh

the SH didn't refresh the apps correctly.
Once i restarted splunk service on the SH, the upgraded app worked correctly.

Thank you for trying to help me with this issue.

0 Karma

oliverja
Path Finder

Same thing happened to me after updating splunk -- lookup_editor was blank across the entire SHC.

Manually restarting search heads resolved it. Thank you.

0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

Glad you were able to figure it out! Also really glad to see you posted back to the community to maybe help someone else some day. Thanks!

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

Chrome Version? Did you try any other chromium browsers, like Vivaldi or Edge? Try Firefox? Any patterns? When I try it using Google Chrome v80.0.3987 (64-bit), updates worked.
I'm thinking it's not your browser, or if it is, it's a policy thing controlling your browser. Try another browser to be sure.

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

kcooper
Communicator

won't work in any browser now. did before. not sure what changed.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

I tried to reproduce this locally but I cannot seem to. Could you answer the questions below so that I can determine what is happening?

1. Do you see any errors in the JavaScript console? See https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/8525/how-do-i-open-the-javascript-console-in-differen...
  2. What version of the Lookup Editor are you using?
  3. Does it work in any other browsers?
0 Karma

kcooper
Communicator

Does not work in IE, Chrome nor Firefox. The strange thing is that we have been using these browsers with the Lookup File Editor for a long time. This problem must started happening.
I upgraded our Dev envir to the latest version - same problem.
this is happening on both old (Prod envir) and newest version

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Can you answer the following? Currently, I don't have enough to go on to fix this.

1. Do you see any errors in the JavaScript console? See https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/8525/how-do-i-open-the-javascript-console-in-differen...

2. What version of the Lookup Editor are you using?

0 Karma

kcooper
Communicator

SPlunk enterprise version 7.2.5.1 (getting ready to upgrade to 7.3.4)
Upgraded to v3.3.3 of Lookup File Editor. turns out that when we clear the cache from Chrome or other browsers this version does not work. you can see the list of all the file when you select Lookup File Editor but when you click on a file that area goes blank. I restored the VM back to before the upgrade (using hyperv) and i cleared the cache and i could still access the files within Lookup File Editor 2.5.1 v.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

Do you see any JavaScript errors? I'm struggling to help because I don't have any information on the root cause and I cannot reproduce the issue. I don't have anywhere else to go at this point.

Alternatively, you could generate a HAR (bit.ly/MakeHAR); I could debug that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...