All Apps and Add-ons

Why is DLTK search showing error for sending to container?

brandy81
Path Finder

Hi All,

I am trying to test DLTK. As I run a search for sending to container, it shows errors:

unable to read JSON response from http://localhost:32775/fit. Either you have no MLTK Container running or you probably face a network or connection issue. Returned with exception (Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0))

Docker container is running and I implemented the sample code on jupyter notebook. What is wrong with this? The SPL I run is this: 

| inputlookup server_power.csv
| fit MLTKContainer mode=stage algo=linear_regressor epochs=10 batch_size=32 ac_power from total* into app:server_power_regression

Could anyone know about it?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)

Slawamba

Hi @pdrieger_splunk,

I encounter the same issue as people above when following the exemplary steps of the barebones_template.ipynb. So e.g.

| makeresults count=10
| streamstats c as i
| eval s = i%3
| eval feature_{s}=0
| foreach feature_* [eval <<FIELD>>=random()/pow(2,31)]
| fit MLTKContainer mode=stage algo=barebone_template time feature* i into app:barebone_template

will result in "unable to read JSON response from https://localhost:49155/fit. Either you have no MLTK Container running or you probably face a network or connection issue. Please investigate Splunk search.log or python logs for more details. Returned with exception (Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0))"

If I run

| makeresults count=10
| streamstats c as i
| eval s = i%3
| eval feature_{s}=0
| foreach feature_* [eval <<FIELD>>=random()/pow(2,31)]
| fit MLTKContainer

I get the same error message. My only active container is the __dev__ container - once I run the command another container of the same name is started (which is probably not what i want).

Setup is: DSDL 5.1.0, MLTK 5.4.0, a docker container containing the golden image cpu 5.1.0 as __dev__

Is there a known way to fix the issue?

0 Karma

pdrieger_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @Slawamba - can you look into the search.log (available over the job inspector from the search bar) and see what exact error is close to the call of the fit endpoint? If there is something with SSL error, please manually pull the 5.1.0 golden image again and see if this resolved the issue. If it's something different, please let me know. 

0 Karma

pdrieger_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @brandy81 , thanks for asking - it seems this is related to a known issue as listed here: https://github.com/splunk/splunk-mltk-container-docker/issues/8 - as a workaround you could leave out the ... into app:server_power_regression when using mode=stage. 

landon
Explorer

I tried but it not work. it still having this problem.

How can I fix this ?

0 Karma

pdrieger_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @landon can you please share more details on the version you use and what specific issue you face?

landon
Explorer

Hi @pdrieger_splunk  

Do you know how to handle this problem? Thanks

0 Karma

landon
Explorer

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

I am trying to test DLTK. As I run a search for sending to container, it shows errors like this :

landon_2-1643217601931.png

The version I used:

Deep Learning Toolkit   3.7.0

Splunk Machine Learning Toolkit  5.3.1

Python for Scientific Computing  3.0.2

windows10

docker was used docker pull phdrieger/mltk-container-golden-image-cpu:3.7.0 then to run image 

landon_1-1643217037898.png

In addition. Sometimes when I click START button to run container. It jumps error like this, but try few times it will succeed.

landon_3-1643217826817.png

It would be of great help to me if who could answer these questions. Thanks again.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

pdrieger_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @landon  , thanks again for sharing the details. It looks like this situation can occur when some synchronisation function was not yet completed. The list of running containers is actively checked and synced with a .conf file. This config is then used for communicating with the container. When the error is not persistent and does not show up anymore then I assume things are working fine? Can you confirm or do you see this  error happening more frequently?

0 Karma

Finn
Explorer

Hi @pdrieger_splunk,

I am facing the same (or a similar) issue and the advice given earlier to omit the "into app:appName" did not resolve the issue for me.

The Error Message stays persistent and i was able to reproduce it on my private machine.

Versions/Data:

Windows 10; mltk-container: 3.8.0; mltk: 5.3.1; psc linux: 3.0.2; psc windows: no version number listed

a docker container containing the golden image cpu 3.8.0 is running successfully

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Finn
Explorer

I think I solved the issue i had. Even though I had a container running, it was the __dev__ container, not the one i wanted to send data to.

This confusion stemmed from the 3. bullet point in step 0 of the user guide, where it says to have the __dev__ container running,  and I only figured it out because of the video on youtube, where it also isnt specifically mentioned though.

I am uncertian if this is obvious to everybody else, especially considering my unfamiliarity with docker, but this knowledge might be a good addition for the user guide in my opinion.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...