All Apps and Add-ons

Why are milliseconds not being parsed in cluster environment - Puppet Enterprise 7.0.1?

freedomson
Explorer

Splunk setup
- Cluster environment
- Splunk Enterprise 7.0.1
- Centos 7

Set up props.conf at index master (./etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/props.conf):

[my_source_type]
CHARSET=UTF-8
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
TIME_FORMAT=%s%3N
TIME_PREFIX=start_time"*.:*."
TRUNCATE=60000
disabled=false
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=13

Raw event example:

{"metadata":{"start_time":"150479000","delivered_by":"CDN"}}

But events never get assigned a millisecond value:

alt text

When using the upload utility Splunk is able to parse timestamp correctly with the same setup:

alt text

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Related:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/683842/please-help-me-identify-why-splunk-is-omitting-ext.html#an...

0 Karma

freedomson
Explorer

UPDATE:
After further debugging the reason for milliseconds not appear was very simple:

I was using a transforms.conf in the indexer with the format: DEST_KEY = _meta
Changed it to WRITE_META = true and all fine no need to force local processing anymore.

You may still read below for awareness...

I had the same issue on a non structured source also:

Splunk Enterprise
Version: 7.1.0
Build: 2e75b3406c5b
Source file: source::/var/log/springboot/dailyLogFile.log
Mask: [INFO ] 2019-02-01 11:02:13.178 ...

After trying for a couple of hours to get miliseconds parsed correctly the solution I found was to set on the Splunk Universal Forwarders property force_local_processing to true on

/opt/splunkforward/system/local/props.conf

[source::/var/log/springboot/dailyLogFile.log]
# 2019-02-01 11:02:13.178
# TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%3N -> It was proven not needed as datetime.xml seems to cover it ???
# TIME_PREFIX=^\[\w*\s*\]\s -> It was proven not needed as datetime.xml seems to cover it ???
 =true

You need to restart Splunk Universal Forwarder to changes to take place:
/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk restart

I have tried to configure the setting at the indexers using multiple configuration without sucess.
Ultimatly I found the answer in https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.3/Admin/Propsconf

Maybe Splunk should open the source code it would make much easier for us to debug this.

IMPORTANT: After forcing local processing I had also to localy add my trasforms.conf setup as they would no longer be parsed at the indexers.

0 Karma

freedomson
Explorer

I manage to fix this by not setting up props.conf at index master but at each individual splunk universal forwarder of the cluster.

/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local/props.con

[example_sourcetype]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
CHARSET=UTF-8
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
TIME_FORMAT=%s%3N
TIME_PREFIX=start_time"*.:*."
TRUNCATE=60000
disabled=false
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=13

I bumped into this when reading https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Forwarding/Routeandfilterdatad
On the above page there is a reference for caveats for routing and filtering structured data namely:

The forwarded data must arrive at the indexer already parsed.

This was the trigger to set this at the forwarder and not on the indexer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...