All Apps and Add-ons

What is the difference between the Kafka Messaging Modular Input and the Splunk Add-on for Kafka?

maximus_reborn
Path Finder

Maybe this question sounds naive, but what is the difference between both the Kafka Messaging Modular Input and the Splunk Add-on for Kafka?
I believe both are for extracting the messages from broker and indexing it. Can anyone please correct me if I am wrong?

Also, how do I configure the Kafka Messaging Modular Input developed by Damien? I have not found any clear documentation pertaining to its configuration.

0 Karma
1 Solution

a212830
Champion

Looks to me like the Splunk add-on is for monitoring the performance of Kafaka, but the modular input is used to index data from kafka.

Personally, I'd like to see a streaming modular input, which allows me to read it, without indexing it (and maybe I'll win the lottery, right?)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

a212830
Champion

Looks to me like the Splunk add-on is for monitoring the performance of Kafaka, but the modular input is used to index data from kafka.

Personally, I'd like to see a streaming modular input, which allows me to read it, without indexing it (and maybe I'll win the lottery, right?)

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Splunk supported add-on is also able to index Kafka payloads. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/latest/Kafka/Configuremodularinputs

maximus_reborn
Path Finder

Thanks jcoates for the reply. So I have configured kafka add-on from CLI. But can you tell me the command to run it in SplunkWeb GUI.

Also,
Can I able to write correlation rules on it?
Basically I have 30 kafka topics that is to be streamed into splunk. My aim is only to insert the payload in splunk and have correlation rules on it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...