All Apps and Add-ons

WebTools App - How to make GET without basic authentication

runner724
Path Finder

Using the latest version (1.2.0) of WebTools, I am running into an issue where I can’t do a cURL against an API using authentication provided in the header itself. WebTools appears to be forcing Basic authentication (unless Splunk authentication is specified, in which case it builds a custom header).

To demonstrate the issue, here is a vanilla cURL:

alt text

In this case, the API is complaining that that I forgot the X-Sysdig-Product header.

If I do the same request in Web Tools, I get a 401 Unauthorized instead of a 400 Bad Request:

alt text

Based on what I see in this app's curl.py file, basic authentication is always going to be sent to the "request" library get() method (unless Splunk authorization is specified; then the get call in the 'else' block is selected). I would suggest that "def get(..." in curl.py is modified so that the requests.get() call does not send "auth=(user,password)", if both the user and password inputs are set to the default "None".

try:
if sessionKey == None:
if user ==None and password == None:
r = requests.get(uri,data=payload,verify=verifyssl, headers=headers, timeout=timeout)
else:

r = requests.get(uri,auth=(user,password),data=payload,verify=verifyssl, headers=headers, timeout=timeout)
else:
(…)

1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please see version 1.2.2 here:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4146/

Thanks for the bug report!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please see version 1.2.2 here:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4146/

Thanks for the bug report!

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any chance you can come back and confirm if the new version fixed the problem?

0 Karma

runner724
Path Finder

Yes, the new version fixed the problem. Thanks!

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

nice writeup, i'll work on this asap... note asap is not always fast in my case 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...