All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk for Active Directory Dashboard Problem

jvargas80
Explorer

We are testing out the Active Directory for Splunk app and are running into one issue. We are getting data in from our DCs just fine and can query ldap and get results for our searches/dashboards except for one. Under the AD app and Security menu, we select User Logon Failures. Everything in the dashboard populates except for Failed Logons by IP Address. We get No matching events found. When we do an insect, we see the following message.

DEBUG: base lispy: [ AND host::sdcfisorl01 index::main source::wineventlog:security [ OR 4625 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 539 675 [ AND 4768 audit failure ] [ AND 4771 audit failure ] ] ]
DEBUG: search context: user="admin", app="Splunk_for_ActiveDirectory", bs-pathname="C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc"

We have taken the search (eventtype=msad-failed-user-logons (host="SDCFISORL01")|fields _time,signature,src_ip,src_host,src_nt_domain,user,Logon_Type) and entered it in a search box where we get results. We can't figure out why the dashboard is not showing any data.

Any thoughts?

m_varenard
Explorer

Same issue here, I found out that the field "src_ip" that the dashboard is using doen't exist in the events.
So obviously the dashboard can't display anything...

Any idea why this field doesn't exist on events ?

0 Karma

mbalasko
Explorer

I have this exact issue and if I replace dest_nt_domain with scr_nt_domain on 1.1.4 of the app it works. Help? Gonna open a ticket today.

0 Karma

rbw78
Communicator

I'm facing the same issue, some news about that ?

0 Karma

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is a big long list there of event codes that your Active Directory systems should be generating. Take a look for eventtype=msad-failed-user-logons (which expands out to the big long list of event codes) to see if you are getting the data. It's probably not there.

My go to reason is that there is a mistake in the audit settings for the GPO that is applied to the domain controllers. Since you are getting successful events, then take a look at the Logon Audit and Account Logon Audit and ensure that both Success and Failure is checked.

0 Karma

jvargas80
Explorer

The problem is that this will only work if the extracted field exists and has some value I can check. Anyone know how I can do conditional stats with extracted fields that may or may not be there?

0 Karma

jvargas80
Explorer

Okay it looks like my problem is the following. Some of the events do not include some of the extracted fields, like "src_ip" or "dest_nt_domain" do not exist for that event which the saved searches are using to do stats. It looks like I need to find a way to do a conditional stats. I've been looking at using the eval command like on this articlet...

| eval newfield=if(DNSNAME=="N/A",IP,DNSNAME) | stats count by newfield

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/37007/conditional-field-choice

0 Karma

jvargas80
Explorer

We are getting both Successes and Failures into Splunk and have confirmed that the GPO is setup correctly. I can see that the dashboard calls the sec_logon_fail.xml view and that specific dashboard report calls the following search.

"<![CDATA[|ip-to-host|fix-localhost|stats count by src_host,src_ip|sort -count|rename src_host as "Workstation",src_ip as "IP Address"]]>"

Not sure how to turn this into a complete search that I can try in the Splunk search app.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...