All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk_TA_ossec alters original data erroneously

rvany
Communicator

While investigating logs coming in from an OSSEC server I found that the `SPLUNK_TA_ossec` alters data erroneously.

The investigated event is for Rule 18149 from a Windows server. The original user is `WINSERVER01$` - as we know a "machine account" as indicated by the trailing "$"-sign.

The `SPLUNK_TA_ossec` (current version is 4.1.0) just strips off the dollar sign in `transforms.conf` in the `[kv_for_default_ossec]` stanza and shows the user as `WINSERVER01` just like a normal username.

Now in a search that filters out machine accounts like `NOT user=*$` these accounts are shown and counted anyway.

=> Error

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...